Subject: Re: dongle + parnet? -Reply
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 10 Feb 95 13:42:00 -1435

No one else may care about our discussion, Doug, but would you feel
     any better if there were a 3rd party PLUG-IN written whose sole job it
     is to by-pass DONGLE-VERIFYING code?  Or maybe a patch that you could
     apply to only a legal version of the software: you need to HAVE it
     first.

     I've written copy protection code before and it is a pain to maintain
     and NOT have it degrade the performance of the original software or
     degrade the efficiency of the animator.  What I suggest to NewTek is
     that if this DONGLE causes ANY problems whatsoever, they should supply
     a fix...be it software patches or hardware cables, etc.  In fact, I
     may have a hardware problem (should I upgrade) because I don't have
     enough desk space around my Amiga.  That means NewTek may have to move
     a wall in my bedroom a few inches.  THAT would be customer-friendly!

     I'll end this discussion here, but DONGLEs have always rubbed me the
     wrong way!

-Enrique.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: dongle + parnet? -Reply
Author:  <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    2/10/95 11:07 AM

>
>      For some reason, IBM-PC software has survived w/o dongles or copy
>      protection for real useful software for a long time.  Maybe it is
>      because the market is soooo big.  Maybe when they release the
>      PC-Windows version it will be w/o dongle or protection so that people
>      won't be hampered by its use and can relax and get their work done.
>
>      Stories of people having to buy extra hardware to get around this
>      dongle is appalling!  I feel for these people.  Luckily I don't have
>      to deal with it yet.
>
>      -Enrique.
>
>      REMEMBER my step #1 below...

Yes. I noted step one and that is good. It is providing ANY support to a
pirate that I take issue with. I agree with you about the dongles. I HATE
the damn things. Unfortunatly, LW4.0 will have copy guarding (dongle on
Amiga and PC). We will have to live with it. AutoDesk saw fit to do the
same with 3DS and the pirated versions are not working as well as the
legal versions. It seems the dongle encryption is more sophistcated than
the pirates realized.

BTW, I don't want to come across as flaming you, but your post could be
construed as endorsing piracy. Need to be careful about that.

Doug Rudd
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're paid to stop a bullet. It's a soldier's job, they say.

So then you stop that bullet. And then they stop your pay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------